Thursday, June 19, 2008

6 year old gets a credit card

Credit card companies are scumbags. I'm sure I've hit on this before, but they have one, and only one, goal in mind: to get you into so much debt that you're stuck paying the minimum monthly balance. That's it. They make their money when you go into permanent debt, so they've set up the game so that it's really easy to put too much money on a credit card and really hard to get it paid off once you're stranded. That's why there's no customer too risky to get a card, whether it be people who've just declared bankruptcy, or people with little or no income, or apparently people under the age of 7: they don't want you to pay it off.

Once you internalize the fact that banks and credit card companies no longer look out for your best interests, but are instead trying to swindle you, the way you look at debt and loans changes. You react to them less like your friends and parents do, and more like your grandparents did!

3 comments:

TioChuy said...

I have luckily never had a credit card. I have never meet a person with one that was happy. There is a lot of stuff I would love to have but not at 2 or 3 or 5 or 20 times the price. Like you said I treat them like my grandparents. If I don't have the money for it I don't buy it. I'm not a millionaire but I'm also not up to my eyes in debt.

Anonymous said...

You guys are just being silly! I have several credit cards, which allows me to select the one that's running the best promotion at the time (cash back, airline miles, etc.). I use my CC for the vast majority of my purchases and simply pay it off in full every month.

I've had cc stolen in the mail, bad guys charged up $7200 in stuff, didn't cost me a dime.

I can't fathom a reason why you wouldn't use credit cards, unless you suck at managing your own money.

el ranchero said...

BOW DOWN TO THE GREAT ANONYMOUS, MONEY GURU OF THE AGES. HE SEES THAT WE SUCK AT MANAGING OUR MONEY, AND IT BURNS US SO!!! HE IS SO MUCH AWESOMER THAN US!!!

Is that what you were looking for?

Credit cards are predatory companies with a business model designed to suck their customers into a state of permanent debt. They tolerate you because for every one of you, there are many others who fall on hard times, get sick, or get complacent, and before they know it they're making the minimum monthly payments for years and years.

The faster you get over yourself and learn to see past your own present situation, the sooner you see the problem with credit cards. Accepting a 6 year old's application is A BIG HONKIN' HINT.