Wednesday, September 24, 2008

drama and gamesmanship

A statement from the Obama campaign:
At 8:30 this morning, Senator Obama called Senator McCain to ask him if
he would join in issuing a joint statement outlining their shared
principles and conditions for the Treasury proposal and urging Congress
and the White House to act in a bipartisan manner to pass such a
proposal. At 2:30 this afternoon, Senator McCain returned Senator
Obama's call and agreed to join him in issuing such a statement. The
two campaigns are currently working together on the details.

John McCain, not to be outdone, takes this idea and runs it off a cliff:
Tomorrow morning, I will suspend my campaign and return to Washington after speaking at the Clinton Global Initiative. I have spoken to Senator Obama and informed him of my decision and have asked him to join me.

I am calling on the President to convene a meeting with the leadership from both houses of Congress, including Senator Obama and myself. It is time for both parties to come together to solve this problem.

We must meet as Americans, not as Democrats or Republicans, and we must meet until this crisis is resolved. I am directing my campaign to work with the Obama campaign and the commission on presidential debates to delay Friday night's debate until we have taken action to address this crisis.

I'm sorry, but what "action" will McCain be taking at 9pm on Friday night that necessitates canceling the debate? Furthermore, what action will he be taking at all, considering the full senate doesn't touch this matter until the Banking Committee decides on a bill to send to the floor, and neither Barack Obama nor John McCain are on said committee?

And I wonder, is this going to be an excuse to dump the VP debate?

A politically motivated overreaction that's totally lacking in perspective. That's leadership, John McCain style.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh. My. God. I hate this campaign for making me so cynical. But it all makes so much sense now.

Listen, I saw Palin's interview with Katie Couric, and she wasn't able to keep her shit together with one of the fluffiest of all fluffy bunnies. And if McCain won't let her answer a simple question from a reporter even now, why wouldn't the campaign pull a bizarre stunt to cover up the fact that she won't be able to hold her own in the debate with Biden?

Rene said...

Letterman ripped McCain a new one today. a full 10 minutes of ripping.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/09/24/john-mccain-cancels-lette_n_128998.html